Sunday, May 9, 2010

Flowers Grown Wrong

Silly me! Or rather ignorant me. I thought something went wrong with the tulips I've been waiting to bloom. A week ago, I noticed that 4 stems have multiple blooms. This observation is in addition to about 15 white buds I saw. I planted purple ones so what I saw growing in the garden plot were a bit unusual. I attributed the latter observation to the fact that I planted the bulbs way too late (January). However, the multiple blooms are more of a mystery to me.

I told Nola about the multiple blooms and she was surprised herself. She's been gardening and even worked in a nursery and this was the first time she heard about that. She said with a smile, "Your tulips are mutating." To which I replied, "Yes, mutant tulips!"


How the blooms look like

After planting the freesia and acidanthera corms this morning, I got the pile of planting instruction guides of the plants I currently have in the garden. And surprise..... I didn't only plant purple tulips. I also planted 12 Double Late Angelique and 10 Fringed Blue Heron. I totally forgot these infos!!!!! I then remembered that I even positioned the bulbs according to their blooming height. That's one mystery solved.

What about the "mutating" issue? I surfed the net a few minutes ago and learned that there are some tulip varieties with multiple blooms. Nothing specific though if it's the Angelique or Blue Heron. So there's no mystery. Just silly, ignorant me -- an aspiring gardener learning the ropes of gardening one step at a time.

No comments: