Saturday, June 12, 2010

Flowery Morning

I wasn't feeling well yesterday, hence, I decided to stay home. Breakfast was first in my agenda (which was unusual) and since there were some left-over tocino and sinangag, I will be cooking sunny side-up egg to complete my all-time favorite tocilog. Clutching some old 24hrs to put in the recycle bin, I went down to the kitchen. Mid-flight, I smelled something different. I got nervous and tried to remember if I forgot any important event for June 11, or 12. Nothing that I can remember so I shrugged whatever that is that made me nervous.

Turned on the stove and opened the cupboard to take out the frying pan when I noticed a vase of gerbera daisies on the counter. It wasn't there the night before so I knew it was Franz who brought them home. Lovely flowers, I should say and they're the deepest of red -- such a pretty sight!


Franz didn't join me for breakfast so I wasn't able to ask him about the flowers. Finished eating and went to the dining room to get an apricot when the same fragrance I smelled in the stairway once again filled my senses. I can now fathom it -- ROSES -- one of my favorite fragrances. I closed my eyes and uttered a short prayer while visualizing white roses. When I opened them...lo! on the dining table is a pretty arrangement of roses, orchids and another unidentifiable flower --- all in white. I smiled and appreciated the beauty that greeted me on a day I feel unwell. I also felt terribly stupid that I immediately associated the smell of roses to someone's death whereas if the fragrance wasn't that random, I would have felt differently.


Right now, we're enjoying the beauty they bring us. The gerbera daisies now on the dining table while the white flowers are in the living room.

I sigh..close my eyes..and utter a prayer of thanks for a thoughtful nephew and... simple joys.

No comments: