Saturday, September 27, 2008

Softdrinks, Soda or Pop?

Nico, a third year high school from F. Sevilla Elementary school, just finished practicing for the district volleyball league. On his way home, he stopped at a sari-sari store. "Aling Maria, softdrinks nga. Kahit ano, basta malamig".

In another continent, a government employee, Eloise, is on her lunch break. "Ooops, I forgot my water. Oh well, I'll just get a soda from the vending machine".

Farther north, Katie just finished watering the lawn. "Mom, just to remind you...I can have a can of pop tonight for dinner".


Three English words but all referring to that addicting calorie-laden thirst-quenching beverage.

In Manila, it's softdrinks (yes, most of the time with an s). In the US, soda it is and pop for neighboring Canada. I knew about the soda thing in the States but pop in Canada? "What's the big deal?", I asked myself when Sangko briefed me.

Apparently, what you'll get from the server when you say soda is a puzzled look. I experienced it myself. And when I explained what I was asking for, the answer I received was: "Oh, you want pop!" Yes, I want pop!

Being the stubborn person I am, I tried the same thing two more times at different restaurants. Just to see. Did I get the same answer? Oh yes, I did. And what else? My niece's I-told-you-so look. So to spare my party from further embarassment in the future, I resolve to use pop.

With a heavy heart. Because I still prefer Sarsi!

No comments: