Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cyber-farming

There's a Filipino folksong that goes:
Magtanim ay di biro, maghapong nakayuko
Di man lang makatayo, di man lang makaupo.

English translation:
Planting rice is not a joke
Just bending all day long
You can't even stand still
You can't even sit down

Nowadays, quite a chunk of the populace had experienced farming. However, not the kind of farming that after toiling the land and harvesting will put food on one's table. I'm talking about the farming happening in the cyberworld: Country Life, Farm Town and Farmville. These are some of the games one can play on his Facebook account.

Personally, I started with FT (FB lingo for Farm Town) late last year. Two weeks to the game, I was consumed with the desire to buy the much-coveted mansion. Played it like crazy. However, work schedule prevented me from becoming an FT addict. I only got to work on Hacienda Biday during my lunch breaks and occasional weekends. Thereby leaving me at stage 28 -- after 2 months of playing. Currently I'm at stage 38. But since I was on a re-arranging mode last month and wasn't able to continue, the hacienda is in a sorry state. I occasionally visit it only to harvest the fruit trees and to water the flowers.

So what swayed me away from the addicting game? Another Facebook application: Farmville, or FV to us "farmers". Same as FT, a farmer needs to plant and to harvest to earn points and coins. Purchase of buildings and decorations helps you go up the ladder, so to speak. Not to mention the gifts from friends and neighbors.

These FB games might appear a bit lame to some. I quite agree..for the Playstation and Nintendo have better games. However, these 2 farming games let me interact with friends who otherwise find Resident Evil and Super Mario quite complicated. After all, we're into this just to while away time...a way to relax after a day's work.

For now, what I need to remember is to make sure I harvest the rice for the co-op farming with Susan and Nicky. We have to get the gold this time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never played games at FB.....I tried but it 's kinda confusing to me....so I never got back to learn it . Ang iba naa-adik talaga like my bros and my pamangkins.

Doyetski said...

confusing at first but you get the hang of it after 2 days or so. just something to do to relax. you might want to try again...baka magustuhan mo na this time. :)

Conan Hughes said...

I never want to play and use any of the Facebook apps anymore. Facebook itself is already consuming many hours of my day. These games/apps are carefully developed to encourage its user to come back playing and wanting for more.

Doyetski said...

Facebook is time-consuming and the game apps are quite addicting. As with all things else, the key is moderation.