Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tired Bulbs


......that's what my officemate Nola told me when I mentioned to her that my hyacinths didn't bloom nicely this year.

I was all smiles when I saw them peeking mid-January. Quite early for them, actually. I was attributing this to the unusual winter weather we experienced. I didn't think much of it except that I'll get to have hyacinths earlier than usual. Who wouldn't like to smell that waft of sweet fragrance while enjoying a quiet Sunday afternoon on the patio?

However, in full bloom 2 months after, they quite gave a disappointment! The florets were few -- about 5 to a flower. The pink ones fared better than the whites and purples. And the leaves were dull green!!

Guess Nola was right! So on the weekend, will just lift them off the ground so I can give the space to some Bachelor's Buttons -- in time for summer.

No comments: